Friday, May 22, 2009

1982

I'm a senior in high school without a care in the world. All is right in my world. It is a typical Friday night, spring-time. I'm wearing my Levi's (29W, 36L - damn - I was skinny and tall), cute blousy top, and my jean jacket. Gotta be cool. Hair perfect; looking good. Going to a bonfire with all my friends in the woods in back of Mark's house. Perfect location - no houses around - the woods back up to a golf course. Full moon, clear ski, and a blazing bonfire. Beers - bottled, of course (obviously ice cold - can't you just taste it?). Laughing, talking. With all of my best friends, and all of their friends. Smoking some pot - not a lot - I'm not a good pot smoker. Huddled with my friends close to the fire to stay warm.

Arrive at home, just in time for "curfew". Grammy is up waiting for me. Wonderful.

Her arms crossed, "Where have you been?". "Out with my friends; Mom knows where I was", I reply. "You smell like smoke", she replies (and oh boy, the TONE in that statement). I slink off to bed.

Fast forward:
Last night; May 2009

44 years old; need my hair colored and cut (where the *fuck* did all of those grey hairs come from???) . Work 2 jobs; go to school full-time; have 2 kids; unhappily married. Started my day at 5:30AM. Woke up my 17 year old so he can get in the shower, and I can get him to the bus stop for 6:30am. Jump in the shower; get dressed; pull hair up in a clip. Drive him to bus stop. Put on make up in front of 15 other high-schoolers all waiting for the bus. Drive back home and wake up 15 year old niece so she can get in the shower, and I can get her to school for 7:15am. Drop her off, and start my day at work by 7:30am. Work until 3:3opm. Start second job and meet crappy client and show him two condos. Two condos that he selected out of 30+ in his price range and criteria. He wants to know if I have anything "special" to show him. Nope - I don't - just these two condos that he wanted to look at. Dump sucky client and go to Applebee's for a drink (or two). Meet up with a friend, and help him with his laundry at laundromat. Go to discount store (like a Salvation Army), and pick out 10 tops and 2 pairs of pants. $63 total. Thrilled. Go back to Applebee's with friend and show off my bargains. Have a "2 for $20" deal - 2 meals & appetizer for $20. Another bargain!

Arrive at home around 8:30pm. 18 year old (home from college) daughter is waiting for me. Wonderful.

Her arms crossed, "Where have you been?". "Out with my friends", I reply. "I expected you home a lot earlier than this", she replies (and oh boy, the TONE in that statement). "My appointments took longer than I thought", I reply. "Hmmph", she says. "Well, I assume you've eaten dinner; and I had made you a plate. Where did you eat?", she says. "At Applebee's", I reply. "Hmmph", she says. I slink off to bed.

No comments: