Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Okay, I'm going to be brave this time and *actually* post something! I'm just going to pretend that only I can read this, so that I don't get scared off (like last time!).

I was so excited to start up a blog. I knew exactly what I wanted to say in my very first posting. I wrote it quickly and posted it. And, then, about 10 minutes later I promptly deleted it and put in a stupid recipe in its place. Unbelievable.

I really thought that I would be able to write about something (anything!) every day and not get all freaked out about it. Yeah, right. So what made me decide to put on my big-girl panties today? I happened to take a look at my blog (for the first time since that recipe post), and I ACTUALLY HAD A FOLLOWER!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes! I knew that it couldn't be anyone that knew me, as I hadn't told anyone that I was doing this. And I am trying to do this somewhat anonymously so that any innocent parties along the way aren't hurt/angered, etc. I HAVE A FOLLOWER. And he is a great guy - I put his blog in my favorite blog lists so that I can follow him as well; you can see his latest post here: http://kingofnewyorkhacks.blogspot.com/.

So, Edward, King of New York Hacks, I don't want to let you down. I'm doing my best here. It's not going to be the easiest thing for me to make public a diary of sorts, but I'll try!

And, since this is really my first "real" post (recipes don't count), I'll tell you a little bit about myself. I'm married (not necessarily happily) with two teenagers. I live in New England, and I work full-time as well as go to school full-time. I'm *almost* 1/2 way through my junior year, and will only have to take three more courses to actually complete my junior year (this spring). My goal is to graduate in May of 2010 with my BSBA (and to hopefully compete successfully for my boss' job). Once I graduate, I plan on "rewarding" myself with a class that I really want to take - ART. Unfortunately, there isn't much art in business . . . at least not in the venue in which I work. My education has come at a cost (see the "not necessarily happily" married portion), but it has been worth it. I don't have regrets for doing it. I only regret not doing it sooner. (Although doing it later has had its benefits too - besides appreciating it more, I also always tell my kids that they have to go to college now when they are young - that they don't want to have to do what I do!)

My favorite places to go: New York City; New Orleans; Provincetown. (Edward - if I get to NYC this winter/spring, I'll have to look you up!)

Favorite clothing: Levi jeans, "Life is Good" t-shirt, boiled wool clogs

Favorite drink: Merlot (night), unsweetened ice tea (morning)

Favorite foods: Sushi, lobster, steak, pesto.

Hobbies: Knitting (not very well - only scarfs and hats); Quilting (again, not very well, but warm for my kids and nephews); Reading (anything - newspapers; blogs; books; magazines).

Bad habits: Smoking; nail biting. (I had quit smoking for over 12 years. Sigh. I started up again when I started school, and other parts of my life got very stressful. It's on my list of things to give up. Again. Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll ever be able to get rid of the nail biting forever. I've done it from time to time, but always go back.) :( I know, I know. Both terrible habits.

Best friends: 2 (my sister, and someone else that has been in my life for just the past 2 years)

Fears: The economy; losing my house; losing my job; paying taxes; death of anyone I love. (and having the "wrong" people in my life finding my blog)

Goals: To graduate from college. To stop being so scared of what everyone else thinks. To realize that what I think is important to me. To be financially secure all by myself. (and of course, to get my damn house cleaned and the laundry done all in one freakin' day!!!)

Okay, that is enough for one day. Have to start somewhere!


Happy Wednesday everyone.

2 comments:

King of New York Hacks said...

"Life is Good" t-shirt...it sure is . Nice meeting you Mel, great post. didn't it feel good to do that? Keep up the good work. Proud of you.

Edward

Anonymous said...

Well, anyone who is good friends with the King is certain to be good folk!